Saturday, March 14, 2009

Lazy Jack and other nursery tales...



I've been working on some fairy tale or nursery rhyme samples. I remember Lazy Jack being one of my favorites as a kid, along with The Gingerbread Man. I was always hoping the Gingerbread Man would get away, instead of being snapped up by the fox - what a violent ending! Another favorite was The Little Engine That Could and now I don't know why. When my kids were little they begged for it every night, too, and I hated it! I took to hiding it, or if they did find it and I was forced to read it, I changed the words to "The Stupid Little Engine That Could", or used funny voices for the characters. That really got them angry, but probably saved my sanity!

1 comment:

McDonnellDoodles said...

Ah yes, The Little Engine That Could. VERY annoying to read night after night, but not as bad as The Poky Little Puppy. However did that get to be considered a classic? Great illustration -- Jack looks exhausted!